Thursday, March 6, 2014

A Pair of Eyes

Lately I have found myself attracted to JR’s photography, each image he captures tells a story that is different for each individual who encounters it. Some say that eyes are the windows to the soul, and for me the hopeless romantic side of me believes it to be true. That one instant you happened to look at someone for a hundredth of a second longer than the average sideways glance and you both know for that moment you were all that they were thinking about and all their attention was poured into you. There is something so wonderfully awful about how that one pair of eyes has the strength to turn my whole world upside down.
When I first discovered this image I not only wanted to sit at my computer for hours looking at the seemingly terrified expression but to know what string of questions were floating within the little boys mind. What made him stop with whatever he was doing just like I had? Is he even looking at the face before him? Or is he merely acknowledging the assortment of liter smothering the dirt filled streets? Who knows.
 “The photo is the story” according to JR, but what is unique aboutt an image opposed to a written story is I can write my own script, however I decide the tale should end or begin is up to me.


4 comments:

  1. This is really cool, I feel like I can hear your voice in this more than either of your other two blogs. Do any of JR's other pieces stand out to you like this one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cosmo- Why thank you, I try to have english and art be the two classes I'm the most myself in but that continues to be a struggle. I love almost all of his pieces, each photo he takes and posts around the world is never intended to advertise or tell someone else what they want instead he allows the viewer to decide on their own. You should watch his Ted Talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenn-
    You're always so deep in thought and questioning the world around you. I think you really expressed your feelings well about this image as well as the questions it led you to. I would suggest more structure, because your mind wandering writing is kind of hard to keep up with. Do you always think so much about his work, or was this one special?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quinn- Trying o stop my mind from wondering is something I wish I could control, one day. I like almost all of his work but what drew me to this piece in particular is the position of boy and the expressive eyes.

    ReplyDelete